Adélard Raymond served as a Royal Flying Corps officer in WWI. Following his return from overseas, he became associated in 1919 with two Toronto pilots of the Canadian Aero Film company, Harry Wilshire and Roy Maxwell. Using two former RAF Curtiss JN-4 biplanes they gave passenger and demonstration flights from St-Lambert, near Montréal. In the autumn, they flew over Montréal island during the visit of the Prince of Wales and performed over the area to promote the sale of Victory Bonds. By then they were using the Bois Franc field that would become Cartierville airport. In 1920 Raymond and Wilshire formed R & W Air Service and on May 12 qualified for commercial pilot licenses 27 and 26. During the summer they used three JN-4s for passenger flights in support of a Kiwanis Club campaign in aid of handicapped children. In 1921, R & W Air Service merged with its Montréal competitor, Canadian Aerial Services Ltd., under the latter’s name. Raymond became a director of the new company.
A special temporary assignment, involving the clandestine delivery of U.S. military and naval aircraft to France, took Squadron Leader Raymond to the French Antilles in the summer of 1940.
A condition related to his wartime flying had to be corrected by delicate eye surgery in France in 1923. When he returned to Montréal, he was a director of Laurentide Air Service, based at Lac-à-la-Tortue. He was also increasingly involved in the hospitality industry in Montréal, becoming vice-president and general manager of the Queen’s Hotel. Active in the RCAF Reserve in the 30’s, he helped to organize the 118 Squadron (Auxiliary) at Montréal, becoming its second commanding officer. When it was activated in WWII, it was stationed at Saint-John, N.B., for Coastal Artillery Cooperation. A special temporary assignment, involving the clandestine delivery of U.S. military and naval aircraft to France, took Squadron Leader Raymond to the French Antilles in the summer of 1940. He served in Canada for the rest of the war in various commands, ending as an Air Vice Marshal and Air Officer, commanding No.1 Air Command. Continuing in the peacetime RCAF Reserve, he had a term as Aide de Camp to the Governor General. During the formative years of Canadair Ltd, Raymond was a member of their board of directors.
Knights of the Legion of Honour
War Cross with Palm
Commander Order of the British Empire